Friday, April 01, 2005

"Click, Click"

The language challenge in my house, the last few years has been ok. I pretty much well understand what's going on and when I don't care to know, I just tune it out.

But since SIL has gotten here its been all Moroccan- all the time. This I've noticed. Especially after DH promised that it wouldn't be that way because she's learning English and needs to practice. I think that if it is possible, her English has gotten worse. So this has posed a problem between DH and I because he'll go on and on about something about work to them and by the time he comes back over to me, he's too tired to rehash it in a way that I can understand or participate in. Then I find out that major decisions are being made while I'm in the next room between the 3 of them and I'm not being consulted. So after a few gentle reminders from DH that I need to remember that we are all a family and to include SIL in things, I turn the proverbial table around and wallop him on the head with it.

I was hurt, I was upset, I was the one doing all the bending and still getting left out. So last night, there was a moment of clarity that I almost missed had it not stopped in its tracks to put its hand on my shoulders and shake me. DH was relaying a story about something that happened at work. I was only half listening like I do at most of our dinners because I'm the one being left out. This time DH told his story -half-half or in Moroccan nos-nos. At the end of it he looked at me and winked. I then realized that over the past week, he had been more engaging in conversation with just me and including me and I almost missed. The moment I realized it was so clear that it actually made a clicking noise and had to do it a second time because I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for taking a second chance on me.

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey, not sure if this is against the rules so won't say anything about me, using the comments cos there's no contact info and don't want to bother Vivi and Tracey (they've worked way too hard already on this). I am your GIBSE sender and was wondering if you have received anything since it was sent more than 3 weeks ago. Just wondering.
Been reading your blog it's cool, I had similar language problems at one point, it can be so frustrating. Anyway won't say anymore for the time being or I'll give myself away.
Take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home