Tuesday, December 28, 2004

"Reflecting..."

It been such a crazed few weeks that I thought today would be a good day to look back, review and get you all updated. I know you've been waiting for that...

Finals were ok. A little tough but I pulled my way through. Islamic class was a take home final--she asked us three questions on things we hadn't really talked about at all and told us to use the textbook that we also never used before. I found a lot of info online and hopefully it will all be ok. I pooped out a little bit at the end I was still sick and frankly just exhausted. Latin American was a nail biter. I had missed 2 classes and she wasn't clear at the end about what she wanted the exam to be about. So I had no real reference for studying but I put everything I had into it and hoped for the best.

Very funny story about Christmas Eve to share. I knew BIL & SIL were planning to go to NJ to visit her family. I didn't want to go because they don't celebrate Christmas, why would I get a tree and presents only to abandon them on Christmas Day. So they decided that they were going to leave the next day instead. They go out and I get a call from them about 1/2 hour later. They've invited so-and-so, his wife, his wife's sister, and his wife's sister's friend for dinner around 10 pm. Did I need anything for the house? No I 'm ok. That's all I said--I didn't say I was cooking, I figured SIL would want to cook for them. But it turns out, that I had just asked Habibi to invite the above mentioned crew over for the next day-Christmas Day. I had bought everything ahead of time, so I figured what they heck, I know what I want to make let me start cooking anyway when SIL gets here I can go clean or something else right?

It's now about 9 pm-ish, no inlaws in sight and dinner is about 3/4th's the way done. I've made berkoula (a spinach and garlic dish), zalouk (an eggplant & tomato dish), Moroccan salad, 3 cornish game hens-Moroccan Royale style (had to use 2 pots to cook it cause I don't have one big pot-then you bake it) and I'm about 1/2 way through making the dessert-chocolate covered strawberries and grapes when the inlaws stroll in around 9:23 pm. Keep in mind folks, guests arriving at 10.

Prior to this around 9, Habibi comes into the kitchen and I'm laughung out loud. He's like, "what's up?" And I say, "I find it funny, that they invite people over but aren't here to prepare for them." And I did-I found this hilarious-not malicious funny or ironic funny but honestly, belly moving ha-ha funny. Seriously, I didn't mind, I wanted to do it and I was planning to do it just 24 hours later. What was the big deal? About 2 minutes later, Habibi comes storming back into the kitchen yelling, "Stop! Stop!" So I'm thinking maybe they cancelled- he goes, this is wrong, you shouldn't be doing this I want you to stop cooking right now! I''m like, ok?, give him a hug and tell him not to worry--I'm ok.

So he fumes & cleans, I cook and the newlyweds breeze in. Guests arrive and I haven't had time to shower or change at all. But SIL's hair is nicely coiffed, makeup, change of clothes and serves tea in her 24 K gold tea glasses and pot. I'm a big, sweaty, chocolate smeared mess but HAPPY! Cause I'm filled with the Holiday Spirit!

I get the rest of dinner ready-table, condiments, arrangments you name it, it's all good. Everyone comes in to sit down and starts eating. I get up to get something from the kitchen , on my way back I hear everyone saying in Moroccan to SIL--this is an amazing dinner, everything tastes perfect, praise, glory and blessings to the almighty chef. SIL looks down at the table and admits that I cooked all of it: an American, prepared an authentic Moroccan meal on Christmas Eve. I AM QUEEN!

Seriously, I wasn't upset and this isn't a look, point a finger, throw a stone at her kind if story. It's a Stacey set a challenge, met it and exceeded her own expectations story. It's a story of personal triumph not who's better than who. Plus, she's been cooking everyday she's been here so she gets daily praise. Plus as an added bonus SIL & BIL got me a wireless internet card for my laptop as a Christmas gift and so they are so awesome for doing that. Now I can go online from anywhere--it's so great!

Christmas Day was just me and my Hbaibi--hasn't been that way since our first Christmas together back in 1999. And there were ton of leftovers, movies to watch and xbox games to play, plus it was real fun reflecting the Christmas light off my new rock.

On Sunday, went to see this little guy:

My godchild Nasim. He's a month old now and such a butterball. It was fun holding and feeding him.

I want to send a big ole thanks to Pat for always sending us a Christmas card with a picture of her boys- Samir & Nezar who are my two favorite Moroccan-American kids. I cannot believe how much they have grown. Issame gave a big shout when he saw the card and started comparing it to last years. He's convinced you skipped a year cause they are so grown up in this picture. You can see hints of the young men they are going to be. You are so blessed!

And the thank you cloud gets blown cross the continent to my best chum Ramela who knows me all too well. My art loving buddy who is always so thoughtful just when I need a good Ramela thought the most. Just yesterday, on my way home from work, I was thinking, "jeez, haven't heard from Ramela, hope everythings ok-must call her this weekend (pause for random thought) ya know I need to get a small purse or something cause now that I don't have school, I don't need to lug these big bags around, (return thought) hope Jimmy & Ramela had a good Christmas, will call Ramela tonight. What happens, I get home and there is a package from Ramela waiting for me. And what's inside? A small wrist purse in green (my new favorite color!) How did you know? So scary! I love you lots!!!

OK, let me get my crazy butt back to work...I missed you guys! Happy Holidays!!!

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Glad the card reached you guys. I can assure you that we did not skip a year! LOL They are certainly growing up quickly. And yes, I truly always feel blessed to have the boys (and Mohamed, too!). Glad your dinner worked out okay and that you enjoyed your holiday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home