Thursday, October 14, 2004

"Let's Get Ready to Fast!"

Eid Greeting (Translation: Happy Holiday!)

YEAH! FASTING!

What is that? Ramadan is the Muslim celebration of the Prophet Mohammad receiving the recitation of the Koran from the angel Gabriel. It's a 30 day celebration where you fast (abstain from food, water and sex) from sunrise to sunset. Of course the Prophet didn't receive the entire Koran in 30 days, he received it over the course of his life. But in case I didn't explain this properly, go here.

Buffet The holiday really focuses on food, family & friends. You tend to eat more during Ramadan--I always gain 5 pounds. It's hard the first 3 days but if it starts tomorrow, I have the weekend to kind of ease into it. Some things that are NMoroccan about Ramadan is eating Harira a tomato based soup with meat, chick peas and noodles. We make msmen (a heavy pancake type bread), behgrir ( a light pancake), shebbekia (cookies with anise seed, almonds, sesame seeds fried then dipped in honey) This weekend while studying for my midterm I'll also be making the first batch of harira and shebbekia. I also orderd (FINALLY!) a breadmaker so kneading won't be so hard

This is what I resolve to do this Ramadan:

  • I will NOT and I will repeat NOT eat too many carbs at 4 am
  • I will drink a lot of water in the evening so I don't get dehydrated
  • I will continue to take my vitamins
  • I will continue to work out at the gym (although I will not harm myself in anyway)
  • I will eat more fruits and vegetables
  • I will try to read a passage from the Koran or Hadith daily
  • I will try to be nice to those who eat in front of me
  • I will try to take long walks during my "lunch breaks"
  • I will not get sick
  • I will try not to be cranky or whiney (hey, it happens)
  • I will try to stay alert and on schedule with my work and school responsibilities
"Someone's boring me. I think it's me." -Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet (1914 - 1953)
Boring Lecture

P.S. Yankees
Sorry Pat, I was born and raised in NYC my first baby jacket was a Yankee one. BTW, have the Red Sox decided as a punishment to the people to not bath or groom for the games cause they're looking like cavemen one guy had that crazy bin Laden beard. What's up with that?

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Happy Ramadan Stacey & Issame!! It will begin here in France and in Morocco tomorrow. I had to laugh at your comments about the Red Sox!!! LOL I am still trying to send them my good vibes from across the ocean! We'll get those Yanks in Boston. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home